I have been very excited about writing my first post, I have been thinking for a long time what my first entry would be. Then the weather today decided it for me. The wind that we have seen all over the country today has been very bad where I live, I went out this morning to go to the post office and nearly got blown off my feet in the process. As a result I decided to spend the rest of the day indoors baking and watching the weather from the safety of my home.
I first made these gingerbread biscuits for my family when I was with them a few weeks ago. They were a huge success and are very Christmassy, not just because of the shape but they have cinnamon in them as well as ginger. If you cut a hole in them before baking they also make wonderful homemade Christmas tree decorations that make your house smell amazing.
I enjoy eating mine with a big cup of hot chocolate.
Gingerbread Christmas Trees and Stars
Ingredients (makes 30 biscuits)
- 12oz/350g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp (heaped) ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4½oz/125g butter
- 6oz/175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 free range egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 100g dark chocolate (over 60% cocoa solids)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two or three baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon. Add the butter and mix until it looks like breadcrumbs (you can do this in a food processor). Then stir in the sugar.
- Add the egg and golden syrup and mix until the mixture holds its shape. Knead the dough until smooth. Then cover in cling film and put in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill (this makes it easier to roll out).
- Once chilled roll out the dough on a well floured surface to 0.5cm. Cut out the dough using cookie cutters and place on a baking tray. Leave a gap between the biscuits as they expand in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Once baked transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once they have cooled, melt the chocolate over a pan of hot water, then decorate.
Enjoy! H x