I love breakfast. I try to keep it interesting by not just having toast or cereal everyday. In the UK I would eat a lot of muesli and granola but I never made myself. I only just returned to Oslo 24 hours ago but I have had a very productive day, making pans of soup, this granola and the usual after being away… a lot of clothes washing!
I thought it would be great to make my own granola so I could put in all of my favourite ingredients into it. It is great to have with milk, dairy for a plant based milk of choice, or yoghurt. I also enjoy sprinkling some on top of smoothies or just having handfuls as a snack.
In this recipe I use cups rather than weights as I found it easier to just put the ingredients into my cup measures rather than weighing them.
Almond and Apricot Granola
Makes one medium container of granola
- 1 and a 1/2 cups of oats
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup dried apricots (cut into quarters)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place the almonds and hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds so they are partially chopped. Place the nuts in a large mixing bowl with the remaining dry ingredients, except the apricots and cinnamon, and mix together.
- Melt the coconut oil with the maple syrup and cinnamon on a low heat in a saucepan on the stove. Once the coconut oil has melted add the sweet liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Place the mixture on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes at 180C. It will need to be mixed regularly to ensure nothing burns and everything gets nicely toasted.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool and then mix in the apricots. Store in an air-tight container to keep it crunchy.
Enjoy! H x