When I was younger my sister and I used to make an avocado and walnut risotto that I used to love. This recipe came around looking through my fridge before I needed to do a big shop and as a result there wasn’t much in the fridge apart from half an onion, avocado and lemon. After looking through my fridge and rummaging through my cupboard inspiration hit me of how much I used to love that dinner.
This is a variation of it as not only does it have almonds instead of walnuts but it also the addition of cayenne pepper, sumac and coriander so it is not a traditionally flavored Italian risotto.
As I have said in my previous risotto recipe I love using spelt instead of risotto rice, however arborio rice would still work wonderfully to make it gluten free.
Avocado and Almond Risotto
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 stick celery
- 50g spelt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 500ml stock
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch sumac
- Handful of almonds, cut in half
- Handful fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop the onion and celery, place in a pan and cook gently in some olive oil. After a few minutes add in the crushed garlic and continue to cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the spelt into the pan and cook for a few minutes, then add the stock and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the spelt is cooking chop the avocado up and mix the almonds, lemon juice cayenne pepper.
- Stir the lemon zest through the spelt and season with salt and pepper. Place in a bowl, top with the avocado and almond mix then place the fresh coriander on top.
Enjoy! H x