This is my all time favourite comfort food. This a family favourite recipe from when I was little. When I feel a bit homesick I make this.
They can be enjoyed however you like, simply with tomato ketchup, with baked beans or pasta shapes (as I used to enjoy when I was little) or made grown up and layer with goats cheese and chilli sauce.
The version I am making are not gluten free but can be easily made gluten free by substituting the spelt flour for gluten free flour such as brown rice flour or buckwheat flour.
Makes 10 fritters (serves 2)
- 6oz frozen or tinned sweetcorn
- 3oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4oz spelt flour
- 1 egg
- 8 fl oz milk
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (leave out if it is for children)
- In a large bowl whisk the milk and egg into the flour gradually.
- Mix in the sweetcorn, cheese, onion, salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a large frying pan add a tablespoon of olive oil (or vegetable oil) turn onto a medium high heat. Add a spoonful of the batter and cook for three minutes on one side (or until golden) then flip over and cook the other side for three minutes (or until golden and cooked in the centre). You should be able to cook three or four in the pan at the same time. Keep cooking in batches until all of the batter is used.
Enjoy! H x