After seven weeks my belongings will finally arrive from Norway, it will be incredibly sad seeing all of my belongings which were part of a home now in boxes being stored until I can move into my own place. I created this recipe to share with my family. Sharing wonderful food is something I enjoy and brings me great happiness.
Pastry is one of my all time favourite things, I think I have said this in numerous posts, but it is true. It is also something all of my family love too, especially my brother. This recipe went down very well with my family. The apple and raspberry goes very well the hint of ginger and I like using the fresh ginger root for the slight heat it brings. It is more of a wintry pie than Spring but as it has been snowing up here this week it felt very comforting to have this. I am hoping that the weather will warm up over the Easter holidays as I have some great recipes I want to make but they are quite summery.
Apple, Raspberry and Ginger Pie
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 10oz plain flour
- 5 oz salted butter
- 2 bramley apples
- 1 cup raspberries
- 75g granulated sugar
- 1/2 inch fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- Milk, to brush the top with.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- To make the pastry rub the butter and flour together until it forms breadcrumb texture (this can be done in a food processor) then gradually add cold water until the pastry just comes together in a ball.
- Roll out the pastry until 2mm thick, then place in the pie dish. Roll out the remaining pastry and using a heart shaped cutter cut out the hearts for the top, I used two sizes a larger one tie the outer hearts and a smaller one for the inner hearts.
- Peel and slice the apples, then place randomly on the pastry. Add the raspberries and ginger. Sprinkle the sugar over all of the fruit.
- Place the pastry hearts starting from the outside working in. Brush with a little milk then sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Enjoy! H x