For barbecues we always have variation of Halloumi skewers, my sister introduced me to these Apple and Halloumi skewers which are great. We attempted to have our first barbecue last week however strong winds and the men of the household didn’t start the barbecue early enough as a result we ended up cooking to food in the oven. It does mean that these are also great cooked in the oven too as well as barbecued.
The weather here last week was amazing, really sunny and warm but a bit windy. I love being able to eat outdoors and hopefully this will be the start of many more meals outside soon. We also served my roasted vegetable and quinoa salad, rosemary potato skewers, leafy salad and smokey barbecue marinated quorn (plus some meat sausages for my dad). I don’t eat quoin very often as I get enough protein from plant sources and dairy but occasionally will have it as my sister often eats it for the protein as she can not have dairy or nuts.
I really enjoy the sweet caramelised apples with the halloumi in this recipe, it works really well and the mustard and honey dressing brings it all together. The dressing could also be used as a salad dressing too.
Halloumi and Apple Skewers
Ingredients (serves 6 as a side)
- 2 blocks halloumi
- 2-3 eating apples, such as Braeburn
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Soak some wooden skewers for 10 minutes in water. Meanwhile cut the Halloumi and apple into inch size pieces.
- Place on the skewers alternating between the halloumi and apple.
- Mix the mustard, honey, olive oil and lemon juice together then pour over the skewers. Leave to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Either barbecue for around 5-10 minutes until the halloumi is golden and the apple is soft or place in the oven at 190C for 20 minutes.
Enjoy! H x