Spring is one of my favourite months for food, wild garlic, asparagus and rhubarb! Maybe I should create a recipe that incorporates all of them! I saw the first Scottish strawberries of the year at the weekend so thought I would put the two in a wonderful almond cake to have for dessert on Sunday night.
This cake had a wonderful bright yellow colour, thanks to the wonderful eggs our chickens laid. We only have two chickens left and they are both 8 years old so it is very impressive they are still laying. We hatched them from eggs the summer before I went away to university so they are an integral part of my family. They produce eggs with the richest yellow yolks I have ever seen! They don’t lay very frequently anymore but when they do the eggs are still amazing. We had our cake with extra strawberries and creme fraiche rather than cream to cut through the sweetness. Rhubarb, Strawberry and Almond Cake
- 6oz butter
- 6oz caster sugar
- 3oz self raising flour
- 3oz ground almonds
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 stick of rhubarb, cut into cm pieces
- 5 strawberries, cut in half
- Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking parchment then pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until lift and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour, almonds and vanilla and almond extract, mix until everything is incorporated.
- Place the mixture into the baking tin. Scatter the strawberries and rhubarb over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
Enjoy! H x