I’m currently laying out on a blanket in the sun while writing this post. Bliss! The past couple of days summer has really started to show it’s head, finally! As a result the salad bowls keep coming!
A couple of days ago my sister and I took my niece and nephew for a walk in some woods that I haven’t been to before and I discovered a patch of wild garlic that was still perfect. I picked a few leaves for this dinner but I need to go back me some more to make wild garlic pesto which I can freeze and have all summer long.
I don’t normally poach eggs as I am not very good at it, however this time it worked perfectly. Hopefully this means I can now enjoy poached eggs more often. This is a really simple salad bowl, perfect for a quick summery meal.
Wild Garlic, Spinach, Potato and Egg Salad Bowl
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 100g new potatoes
- 5 wild garlic leaves
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 a courgette
- Knob of butter ( about 20g)
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a pan of boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile using a potato peeler, peel the courgette into ribbons. Then tear the spinach and add bowl to your bowl
- Finely chop the wild garlic and parsley then place in the bowl with the courgette and spinach.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them, then return to the pan and add a large knob of butter (about 20g). Then leave to melt.
- To poach the egg, bring a pan of water to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Add a tablespoon of white wine vinegar to the water. Before you crack the egg in swirl the water round with a spoon, crack the egg in and leave to cook for 4 minutes or until the white is cooked. Remove from the pan using a metal slotted spoon , then place on kitchen paper to remove any excess water.
- Place the potatoes in the bowl and pour over any remaining melted butter. Add the lemon zest and mix everything together. Place the egg on top and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy! H x