This is not a “healthy pizza alternative”. Pizza is pizza this is an aubergine slice. Pizza for me has to have a wonderful pizza base from a wheat flour and semolina dough. This is a wonderful dinner that my family have enjoyed for years, not as a healthy carbohydrate free dinner as it would be labelled today but instead a great summer meal. I usually enjoy this with a large homemade flat bread such as my Mediterranean Flat Bread. However if anyone wants to use it as a carbohydrate free pizza you may.
The weather here has been amazing this week! On Friday my sister and I decided to drop everything and took my niece and nephew to the beach. It was incredible, beautiful sun, clear blue sky and hardly anyone else at the beach! We also had a barbecue on Thursday evening as we don’t know if the weather will be good enough on my birthday for one so decided to make the most of it and have as many evening meals in the sun as we can. I made my apple and Halloumi skewers which were delicious.
These slices can be easily adapted to use any cheese that you like. I’ve made a mint, feta and pomegranate version before which is delicious and a goats cheese, lemon and chilli but this is the basic recipe that I use and my family love. Cooking time on these will vary depending on the size of your aubergines so keep an eye on them when they are in the oven.
Ingredients (serves 3-4 people)
- 2 aubergines
- Tomato purée (1 tsp per slice)
- Sun dried tomato paste (1 tsp per slice)
- 200g cheese of your choice, grated (I used mozzarella, cheddar and grana padano)
- Fresh oregano
- Fresh basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the aubergines into 4 slices, lengthways. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on a little salt. Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 180C for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes turn the slices over and cook for a further five minutes.
- Once they have cooked place a tsp of tomato purée and sundried tomato paste on each slice and spread so it covers the whole slice. Tear some oregano and basil leaves onto each slice, about 4-5 per slice. Then place the grated cheese on top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes, until all of the cheese has melted.
Enjoy! H x