For my first post in July I thought I would share my recipe for these great gluten free pancakes. I love pancakes, there is nothing better than getting family and friends round the breakfast table and serving out lots of fresh pancakes. My mum always makes pancakes for breakfast on Christmas Day, which was always a great way to distract us from our presents and get us to eat breakfast. This year I had to chase my three year old nephew round the living room, giving him mouthfuls as he was so excited he wouldn’t sit still and eat them! These pancakes are made using the quinoa flour I used in my Orange, Quinoa and Polenta Cake. They make a great gluten free alternative to traditional pancakes (although I will still be eating plenty of them too!) and are just as quick and easy to make. As it is summer I wanted to top mine with fresh cherries but any other fruit would work great or just with maple syrup. I had a wonderful Sunday morning making these, drinking fresh strawberry and apple juice and coffee.
These could be easily adapted to be dairy free by replacing the milk with a plant based milk. The coconut oil works great in these and I looked them in coconut oil too. I’ve been using a lot of coconut oil in my cooking recently as it is amazing.
Ingredients (serves 1-2)
- 75g quinoa flour
- 75ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Optional toppings, cherries and maple syrup
- Mix all of the ingredients together with a whisk.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of coconut oil. When the coconut oil is melted add a ladle of the batter into a pan, wait until the top begins to bubble then flip it over and cook on each side until golden. Repeat until all the pancakes are cooked.
- Place on your plate and top with your favourite toppings!
Enjoy! H x