I think that beetroot is my all time favourite vegetable, so autumn with its abundance of beetroot has to be my favourite season. I always have masses of roasted root vegetables in the autumn and winter as they are incredible easy to make and can turn into lots of incredible dishes such as a spelt risotto, quiches, warm winter salads… Depending on your beetroot and carrots you may need to adjust the roasting time, my beetroot and carrots came out of the ground five minutes before they went into the oven so only needed 20-25 minutes but produce from the supermarket may need 30-35 minutes.
I can not believe that the supermarkets in the UK are already filled with Christmas chocolates. I know that I mentioned Christmas in my last recipe, however that was under the context of planning Christmas presents, not wanting the shops to be filled with Christmas chocolates already, it hasn’t even been Halloween yet!
Roast Beetroot and Carrot Quinoa Bowl
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 3 small beetroot, quartered
- 3 small carrots, cut in half
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 tsps. fresh thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 small green cabbage
- 80g quinoa
- 500ml stock
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Place the carrots, beetroot, oranges, garlic, rosemary, thyme onto a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- For the quinoa, place the quinoa and stock in a pan and cook on a low heat for 20 minutes, the water should have been absorbed by this point but if any remains drain it off.
- Just before everything is ready quickly blanch the cabbage in some boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Once the beetroot and carrots have roasted, remove the orange slices and garlic. Squeeze the juice out of the oranges then make a quick dressing by adding a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, the roasted garlic and some more fresh rosemary.
- To assemble place the quinoa and cabbage at the bottom of your bowl, then place the roasted vegetables on top and pour over the dressing.
Enjoy! H x