It is the season for soup! I love having soup for lunch throughout the Autumn and Winter. I try to have a pan of soup simmering away most days. This is a really wonderful soup to have, I love parsnip and apple soup and it is very quick and easy to make. To give the soup a creamy, velvety taste and texture I add cannelloni beans instead of cream. It keeps the soup vegan and adds more protein to the soup than a splash of cream would. The beans don’t mask any flavours of the soup either. I add beans to soups quite a lot, especially if my sister is round as she can not have dairy. Apples are brilliant in savoury dishes as well as sweet ones. I used a large bramley cooking apple which are quite sour in this so if you use dessert apples I would use two as they are smaller.
I can not believe that September is almost over already! Time is passing incredibly quickly. September has been a great month, amazing weather, some great freelance work and lots of plans for future developments with Hermione’s Pantry.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 parsnips
- 1 cooking Apple
- 1 onion
- 1 tin cannelloni beans
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 litre stock
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Salt and pepper
- Optional, 1 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- In a large pan sweat down the onions and garlic until they are soft.
- Add the parsnips, apples, stock and sage, simmer for thirty minutes
- Add the cannelloni beans and continue to cook for five minutes.
- Blitz the soup until smooth, season with salt and pepper then top with pumpkin seeds.
Enjoy! H x