With the cold winter weather making a resurgence I have been making quite a lot of soups for lunch. This has been one of my favourite, smokey, sweet and spicy, just brilliant. It is very easy to chargrill red peppers if you have a gas hob, just hold them over the gas flame until they blister and char! If you don’t have a gas hob, cut the peppers in half, place them on a baking tray under the grill until skin goes black. If you try this method keep a close eye on them!!
Chargrilled Red Pepper and Chilli Soup
- 2 red peppers
- 1 leek
- 1/2 onion
- 1 stick celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 400ml stock
- 1 tbsp fresh mint
- zest 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsbp oregano
- Chargrill the peppers over a gas hob until the skins blacken, then leave to cool.
- Finely chop the leek, onion and celery. Place in a large pan with a tbsp olive oil and cook on a low heat until softened. Add the garlic and chilli and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stock and smoked paprika. Chop the chargrilled red peppers into 2 cm pieces then add to the pan. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blitz the soup in a food processor or hand mixer. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve ladle into a bowl then top with fresh mint, lemon zest and oregano.
Enjoy! H x