It has been a while since I did a chocolate overload dessert and this is a brilliant dessert to have when you have people round for dinner or a Christmas meal (yes I said Christmas in November!). It can be made in advance and then taken out of the freezer a couple of hours before you need it. It is incredibly rich so only a small amount is needed! I like to serve it with fresh fruit to cut through the richness. It is vegan, refined sugar and gluten free, and if you keep the coconut and chocolate mixture to below 48 degrees it is also a raw dessert!
I made this torte during the summer when my fiance’s parents came to stay during the summer and again when we had friends round for dinner last weekend. I am resisting very hard getting a piece out of the freezer as Antony is away for work tonight. Everyone who has had it has absolutely loved it. I’m hoping my sister will be coming to stay soon as she absolutely loves this!!
I use Divine Chocolate in this as I find it works really well and the flavour of it is fantastic. I have used different types of Divine Chocolate each time. My favourites are their 70% dark chocolate, 85% dark chocolate and 70% dark chocolate baking bar. I used the 70% dark chocolate baking bar in this one.
For the base
- 1 cup pecans
- 6 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the chocolate layer
- 3 x 100g divine 70% dark chocolate bars (broken into pieces)
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- pinch of salt
- Place all of the ingredients for the base into a food processor and blitz until everything is mixed together and the nuts are finely chopped. Take the mixture and press into the bottom of a 18cm loose bottom cake tin.
- For the top place all of the ingredients into a pan and heat gently until all the chocolate is melted and formed a smooth mixture.
- Pour over the top of the base. Place in the freezer for a minimum of 6 hours.
- Remove from the freezer two hours before serving.
Enjoy! H x