Everybody knows I love porridge and would very happily have it every morning for breakfast. This morning I fancied something savoury rather than sweet so I experimented making a savoury porridge bowl, it turned out really well! There is no milk in this so it is vegan.
I do realise that people will either “love it or hate it” as it does have marmite in it. I love marmite, my husband does not. I made this while he was away but he would think it was an abomination! This will definitely only make it into the breakfast rotation while he is away. I grated half a courgette and cooked it through with the oats which made a great texture. I topped mine with some garlic mushrooms but some roast tomatoes would be fantastic on top of it too.
I’m looking forward to trying other savoury porridge recipes that I will share with you!
Savoury Porridge Bowl
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 heaped tsp marmite
- 1/2 courgette, grated
- Small handful chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp almonds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the oats, water, courgette and marmite into a pan and gently heat until the oats are soft and water is absorbed. This should roughly take 5-10 minutes.
- While the porridge is cooking, place the mushrooms and garlic in a frying pan with some olive oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on a high heat.
- Once the porridge and mushrooms are cooked, place them in a bowl and top with the nuts and seeds. Season to taste.
Enjoy! H xx