Savoury crumbles remind me of cold winter days. This spring version is lighter and fresher, perfect for cooler spring days when you want something warming yet spring like. I used onions, leeks, courgette and broad beans in this and asparagus would work wonderfully in it too. There is a hint of lemon in the white sauce to lighten it and fennel seeds in the crumble topping to complement the lemon.
Everything I cook at the moment I am asking myself “could Rowan eat this?”. We will be starting to wean him soon as he is almost 6 months old. We are going to be doing “baby led weaning” which means we will be giving him the same food as we are having for his meals. To do this I will have to reduce the amount of salt I use in cooking and then season afterwards rather than during the cooking. I am going to start documenting how it is going in a series I am going to call “Weaning Wednesday”. I am not an expert but hopefully some of the successes and mistakes I make will help others.
Spring Savoury Crumble
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 courgette, cut into thin semi circles
- Broad beans (I use frozen)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 200 ml milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 150g oats
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. In a pan start cooking down the onion and leek in olive oil. After five minutes add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the courgette and cook until all of the vegetables are soft. Turn off the heat and leave to one side.
- To make the white sauce, add the butter and flour into a pan, cook on a low heat until they form a paste. Very slowly add the milk, whisking the whole time. The slower you add the milk, the less likely you are to get lumps! Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and add all of the lemon zest, cooked vegetables and broad beans.
- To make the crumble topping mix the oats, olive oil, fennel seeds and cheddar cheese together.
- To assemble the crumble place the vegetable mixture into the bottom of a oven dish. Spread the crumble topping over the top. Place in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes.
Enjoy! H xx