In the summer light and fresh cakes are perfect with a cup of tea or homemade elderflower cordial (recipe coming soon!).
This orange and poppy seed cake is incredibly simple to make and very quick, perfect for when you have people coming round last minute. If you find your oranges are difficult to zest for this recipe, put them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and this will firm up the skin making them easier to zest. You can use the all in one method for this cake but I like mixing the butter and sugar together first to make it really light and fluffy.
It is a nice take on the classic lemon and poppy seed cake.
Orange and Poppy Seed Cake
- 6oz butter
- 6oz caster sugar
- 6oz self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and grease and line a 1lb loaf tin.
- Mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, either with a hand whisk or freestanding mixer.
- Add the flour and eggs and gently mix until everything is incorporated. Add the vanilla, orange zest and poppy seeds, mix until they are evenly distributed throughout the mix.
- Spoon into the loaf tin and bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on your oven).
- Once cooked leave to cook in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out and cooling completely.
To make this gluten free simply use gluten free self raising flour.
To make this dairy free use a non dairy butter instead of butter.
As it contains a lot of sugar I wouldn’t advise giving to babies but it is great for older children and easy for them to make too!
Enjoy! H xx